2011년 11월 21일 월요일

TED : Independent Diplomat



       



                I have seen so many times this TED video and the book which is written by Carne Ross. Actually, Carne Ross is my role model. I have wanted to be a diplomat like him, I could examine myself about my attitude, and I could realize what I have to do as a diplomat in the future. When I was young, I had only abstract and cool image of diplomat; wearing black suit, speaking foreign languages fluently, and sometimes indulging in luxury. However, after I finished watching video and reading his story, I could know the concrete situation of present diplomacy and also diagnose some problems. 
                  Carne Ross was a first secretary at the England Embassy and he enjoyed his fancy life. However, as he has worked as a diplomat, he scrutinized present diplomacy and found out innumerable problems. He came to know that the government exaggerated the intelligence and the government also had ignored all available alternatives to war. Even at the U.N. conference, he could notice subtle atmosphere that world powers disregarded small and weak nations’ opinion. For instance, world powers determined Kosovo’s fate in tentative agreement not considering Kosovo’s stance and opinion. Not knowing the reality of Kosovo, world powers just argued about Kosovo’s independence in a small room of U.N. headquarters and determined their fate easily while kosovars were dying with starvation. As he saw these depravities of present diplomacy, he became dubious whether the pathway he was going to is right or not. That is, he came up with an idea that he needs to work with scrupulous honesty. Finally, he submitted his resignation and gave up everything he had gained from status called ‘diplomat’. On the TED video, he said : I wanted to be an ambassador, and my mentors, my heroes, people who got to the top of my profession, and here I was throwing it all away. A lot of my friends were still in it. My pension was in it. And I gave it up.
                 As a result of his decision, he established non-profit, diplomatic advisory group named ‘Independent Diplomat’. After he had realized that kosovars were not allowed diplomatic service and diplomats, he started to help them. Besides, he was endeavored to give pragmatic and diplomatic solution not only to Kosovo, but also to other weak countries. He was exemplified as a real diplomat and his accomplishments are laudable enough in the sense of that he helped the weak not focusing on gaining honor or money. I strongly want to extol him, and advocate his view of life. In other words, with his braveness and fervor, he enhanced the level of ‘real’ diplomacy.
I pay deference about his candid disclosure about depravity of present diplomacy. He was brave. While other diplomats accepted wrongs, he was zealous to correct the wrongs. When other diplomats were busy to pursue and take their own national interests in provincial perspective, he broke the mold of diplomacy and gave us a break to look around and think about other countries. And I think these are necessary and pivotal minds to present diplomats. As I saw and read his story, I decided that I will become a diplomat who can have profound insight and consider in the stance of the weak.   

댓글 1개:

  1. 21! Nice. And they all fit in wonderfully. I'm glad to see you learned from this video and really took the messages to heart. Diplomatic lifestyle isn't for everyone, and I think the stress would be really hard to manage. But I hope you realize your dream. Nice post.

    답글삭제