2011년 11월 27일 일요일

creative essay; ten years later


My Future Diary




2021. 06. 21



Ladies and gentlemen, please fasten your seatbelt……”

       Hearing the captain’s announcement, I laid my tired body on the seat. I reclined the chair to have a snooze. My heart was still beating as I recall the moment only a few hours ago closing my eyes. My feeling after finishing my first international conference was like I’m flying to the sky.
                  Getting on the airplane, breaking up time to sleep in order to work, and visiting a lot of countries in a day, I have to promote national interests representing Korea in diplomatic stage which is known as ‘war without gunshot’. I, who transcend the bounds of nationality to actualize human’s universal value, am. Yes, I am a diplomat.
                  Before getting on a flight to New York, my heart was too full seeing my new diplomat’s passport. Of course, I am a new diplomat who just stamp feet in front of the huge wall named ‘World’, but I could imagine my future that I will overcome the wall and introduce ‘Korea’ to the world proudly. A satisfied smile rested on my lips.  



                 At the U.N international conference, I just broke out in a cold sweat. There were so many things I didn’t know as it was the first international conference as a diplomat. So, senior who had been worked in New York explained everything to me in minute detail. We had the conference for three weeks and there were a lot of tension at this conference because the problem about recent conflict between Israel and Palestine became an issue again. I couldn’t distinguish whether it is good or bad about having a discussion about this big agenda as a ‘first experience’. In the meeting hall, I was careful in everything since only words can cause quite a stir. Besides, it was diplomatically sensitive issue, so everything was hard to me. During other countries’ diplomats got the floor and clarified their positions, I felt my inadequacy bitterly. I was struck with admiration seeing other diplomats convey the point in concise words, and speak foreign languages fluently. Even I could see an easy and composed attitude from their every single gesture. Watching them, I decided to develop language skills, build up my experience and strengthen my position in international conference few years later.   
                  In that way, conference for three weeks ended finally, and I participated in reception which was on evening. ‘Reception’ is a party to use a common word. Actually, the party is also an extension of work. In the reception, I have to think ahead who I should meet and what I have to say, and even if someone ask me about situation of Korea, then I should be able to answer correctly and concisely. Meanwhile, I can get a lot of information in the reception, so it is not just a fun party. 
                  After finishing all my duty in New York, I went back to JFK airport to get on the plane. Now, I’m on my way to return Africa where I have been worked in. I’ve wanted to work in Africa since I was young. Some diplomats have an idea that they will go and work in advanced country such as U.S.A or European countries via Africa, but I’m different. To me, working in Africa itself is my ultimate purpose as a diplomat. I wanted to be an expert of Africa and actualize a spirit of sacrifice and dedication overcoming politic, economic and social disorder of Africa. So, now I examine situation of Africa in politic, economic, social and cultural fields and collect information working at diplomatic offices in Africa. I also protect Koreans who live in Africa, and make an effort to present a good image about Korean for maintaining friendly relations.




                  The airplane gets out of runway and fly up into the sky. Watching the clouds through the window, I’m lost in thought. In this airplane flying endlessly to the sky, my passion and commitment to duty are also loaded fully. Working in Africa, and working as a diplomat is tough. I know there will be so many difficulties in the future as well. However, I am going to win through those difficulties in the name of ‘Korean diplomat’.     





References

I got some information from
Homepage of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade
Kim Hyo-eun, 외교관은 국가대표 멀티플레이어, Luxmedia , 2008

댓글 1개:

  1. Excellent. Tons of "verisimilitude" here. I like the extra details and I'm sure you've captured the mood of being a young diplomat racking up miles in the sky. Ten years later...I wonder if you'll be participating in reunification talks between North and South Korea. Good post.:)

    답글삭제